Thursday, July 18, 2013

Welcome: Our Story

Welcome to our blog!

On October 19th and 20th my mom, Anne, and I will be participating in the Avon Walk for Breast Cancer in NYC.   With my mom being a 2-time breast cancer survivor (1994 & 2009) I am very thankful for all the past research that has been done to enable her to be here today, cancer-free!  I would like to be able to pay forward and help more people that are diagnosed with breast disease. 

This is a huge commitment for various reasons.  First off, we will be walking 39.3 miles! It is a full marathon on Saturday and another half marathon on Sunday.  Secondly, in order to participate we are required to raise $1,800 each, so my mom and I need to raise a total of at least $3,600!

The money we raise will be managed and disbursed by the Avon Foundation Breast Cancer Crusade to help provide access to care for those who most need it, fund educational programs, and accelerate research into new treatments and potential cures.

In order to reach our goal, my mom and I got creative.  We started a competition against my brother, Trevor, and his girlfriend, Chrissy.  We will be doing our own home version of the TV show Flea Market Flip.  My mom and I will work together for Team NY and Trevor and Chrissy will work together for Team NJ.  The basic rules: purchase items for no more than $5 and flip them to make to most profit.  Items can be sold on Craigslist or at Trevor's garage sale later in the summer.  The winner is the team that had the largest profit on a single item.   

I look forward to sharing with you all of our wonderful transformations and will keep you updated with our progress.  Be sure to check out all the updates to the left in the "Blog Archive"

If you would like to check out my Avon fundraising page, visit:

Thanks!
Jacki

1 comment:

  1. Jacki, what a wonderful blog you have created here to tell the story of your amazing commitment for fund-raising for breast disease research! And it also tells the story of the fun you are all having (along with your incredible creativity and hard work) bringing old items to new life for this great cause. Your transformed projects are now real treasures! I am looking forward to the continued updates you are giving here, on Facebook, and on Pinterest. I want to brag to others, and these updates will help to do so. Great work, all - congratulations to you!!

    ReplyDelete