Friday, July 26, 2013

A Minor Setback

Soon after our umbrella stand sold for the listed price, I received an email about the hub cap end table, our most recent creation.  I wasn't too hopeful at first but she then specified a pickup time and called for the address.  On Wednesday morning, our third item left the showroom for $40, the original listed price!  The hub cap table was one of our most creative items, a risky vision that turned out great!

While I was exchanging emails with the future hub cap table owner, I was also in communication with someone interested in the colorful cubbie and dresser set.  There has been so many people interested in these items and no one following through that I didn't think too much of this person.  However, after speaking with this person I found out that she is a preschool teacher that really wanted these  items.  I agreed to lower the price a bit and she even convinced me to deliver them, fortunately not too far but only to Highland Mills.  Since I was getting so many people asking about the dresser but not actually coming to get them, I really just wanted to sell them.  

This is when the setback happened.  After the hub cap lady picked up her table, Dad and I loaded the car with the dresser and cubbie.  Mom and I took off to deliver them to the Highland Mills lady.  On a bumpy trip through Cornwall the dresser drawers suffered some pretty major scraps in the paint.  I had no choice but to fix them up and explain to the women what happened.  I knew after painting the dresser that it chipped easily, I found out because of the finish I sprayed on it.  Fortunately, it made it really easy to peel/scrap off and sand down to repaint.  I invested in some good quality primer and put a coat on Wednesday evening.  



I heard from the Highland Mills woman and she said she was still interested even with the chips in the paint.  I said I'd feel guilty selling them in that shape and had already started fixing them.  I let the primer dry and on Thursday touched the drawers with a few coats of paint, no finishing spray this time.  I let it dry overnight and told her if she was still interested I can deliver them Friday morning.  

This time around Dad and I packed the dresser with bungie cords, blankets, and towels to prevent any possible chipping.  We made it there safe and sound.  Upon arrival to this rich development of mansions, we noticed her large SUV, the vehicle that was too small to pick these items up herself, and a lot of kids toys in the driveway.  Was she actually a preschool teacher?  I don't know but she definitely seemed rich and lazy and wanted us to deliver the dresser and cubbie to her so she wouldn't break a sweat in her fashionable workout outfit.  Good thing was that she had no questions or complaints and gave us the money and we left.   

The set is officially sold! $60 wasn't too bad for all this work.  Still made a large profit.  Now hopefully people will stop bothering us about them since no one was actually serious in picking them up. 


No comments:

Post a Comment